Monday, 19 September 2016

A Part-Time, Temporary Assignment.

Last Monday I applied for an admin job through Indeed, I can't remember if it was one from their 'Job Alert' emails or something I saw listed on their website. The detail is irrelevant or rather my memory is poor (prospective employers please ignore that last comment.) I had a telephone call on the following Tuesday morning from Pertemps because the job was something they had in fact listed, so my application actually went through them. It appears I'd registered with these recruitment specialists too in the process, these computer link things are good. The job was outlined in a bit more detail, certainly more information than I remember reading the night before to have piqued my interest. Clearly if my shorthand writing skills were any good then I might have stood a chance. It seems that there was to be lots of note taking at lots of meetings. However, my scrawls usually taken at such things would have meant spending several hours afterwards deciphering these to make legible anything that was actually said at the meeting. Nah, it wasn't for me. But, I was asked if I might be interested in a few hours a day for the next two to three weeks doing some routine admin work (filing, photocopying etc.) I can't be fussy, of course I can't, I need to keep from getting rusty and stop waiting for the 'ideal job.'

'Yeah, go on then' or words to that effect, I said.

'Great.' She said, or words to that effect.

I had a few hours to get ID documents sorted out, get down to the nearest Pertemps office, hand over said documents, sign an employment contract and hey presto - I got a job. It's definitely a part time, very temporary job at £8.01p/hour but proof that there's life in this old dog yet, I'll have you know. She said she'd see if I could condense the hours into full days, it turned out to be two full days per week, their client said OK. So, I was assigned to this job and I had to wait to hear if I was to start the following day, that's last Wednesday. As it was I started last Thursday instead and worked Friday too. It'll be Mondays and Fridays for the time being, it might even be for more than two to three weeks because it's to cover someone on long term sick leave.

So, today; I went to work, I received an email from Indeed Job Alerts at 13.45 this afternoon and then an email just over an hour later from Monster at 14.58. 

I might have to check out Monster's relocation package because the ten recommended administration jobs are still based south of the border. Also, Indeed have 20+ new recommended jobs even if one of them is Falkland Island based.......


No comments:

Post a Comment