Thursday, 22 September 2016

Registering at Job Sites and Sending off a CV

When I started seriously looking for jobs, especially online, about two weeks ago, I had a ball..... Well, I got carried away a bit riding the wave of enthusiasm and determination to get back to work after a few weeks off. There are lots of web sites out there 'helping' you, when I realised after a while that they're no more than job brokers. I won't be the only one to realise this but that thought has only just recently occurred to me. I presume that if you click onto a job through the link on the website you visit then they get what ever commission is paid for these type of introductions? Fair enough I suppose.

However, I can only wonder that once you've registered, uploaded your CV, they have a clever piece of software to cut and paste from your document and build up a profile of you. Recommendations of jobs are brought to your attention, whether they are suitable or not, they'll just add you to a classification of job that you've already selected from their pre-organised options. So the recommendation is really the tying up of two loose ends of string. Fair enough, again.

But, they've got you, your personal information, with it your belief that they will be the ones to get you your next job. Even, your dream job? Hmmm. But, my scatter-gun approach in the last few weeks online must reap some rewards at some point, surely? I wonder how many of these sites will have the very same job listed....a bit of research needed perhaps on this one but I guess it's likely that that could and does happen.   

I'm wondering just who and where I am registered, what they know about me, what third parties have access to my details and how effective are they? Is there a rating/grading system for these online job recruitment companies? Who's genuine and trustworthy and who's not? Oh dear, and I thought that job hunting was going to be easy - search and click, that sort of thing and not over thinking what's actually happening......if indeed it is (was that a pun using the word 'indeed'?!)

I shall make a list and find out where my name is registered......

It was the email I had the other day from the CV Bank that set up this thought line for me......So, who's got my CV? Who's not got it but has access to it? Who's looking at it and who's got too many to look at? How do I get mine to just float to the top of the CV pile?

I had an interview two weeks ago with a local construction firm - an admin job with their tenders and contracts department, they said they'd be in touch at the beginning of last week. How long to leave this to follow up or assume that because they don't have a HR department that they're busy or just that I simply didn't get the job?

I've also at least had two firms who have let me know that I haven't been successful in getting my application and/or CV to go any further. They were jobs as a Cashroom Assistant as well as a Business Services Coordinator (Maternity Cover.) The declines were sent by email. It's at least nice to know. 

Job adverts in the local rags are still a good source of reference of course, it's once a week for the main city based snoozepaper, every Friday to be exact. So, it's not just sitting down with a laptop and a decent wifi system.....you can't check Facebook and other online distractions but you can read the other articles and have a stab at the crossword I suppose, check out the sports section and the TV guide as well.

Monster & Indeed emails proved fruitless.

No comments:

Post a Comment