Monday, 19 September 2016

Sunday Afternoon Job Hunting

So, it's a Sunday afternoon and the job hunting carries on.... a bit. There's an email in my inbox at 14.54 this afternoon from 'Monster' titled '10 New Administrator Jobs' but the jobs are all based in England, there's nothing north of Leeds. I'm in North East Scotland and there's no desire to move from here. There must be a way of telling Monster Jobs where I am based so they can fine tune these job recommendations for me. I haven't looked into this yet..... I'm not entirely sure how I'd registered with them, I didn't realise that I had until their emails came through daily, from about 10 days ago. Then another email, this time Indeed's 'Job Alert' came through at 16.36 this afternoon with 20+ recommended new jobs. These Indeed ones are more 'local'...well, they're all Scottish based jobs so that's better than the 'Monster' email, some of them are even inside a 25 mile travelling radius. This time of year there is a recommendation that I could apply to be a Santa Claus as well as a laundry assistant, spa cleaner and even a baby sitter. I can only imagine that my profile and CV with Indeed.com leave the thresholds wide enough to allow these recommended jobs to filter through. I'll have to tighten this up. Give unemployment a few months and I might be tempted with non-admin jobs but, as it stands, not at the moment....by which time Christmas will be over so the Santa Claus job will have relocated back to the North Pole. 

I left my old job, with an animal rescue and welfare charity, 6 weeks ago last Friday. I had completed nearly 10 years service there and I needed a break. There was an opportunity to take over a doggy day care business, an established business a few miles away, that the owner wanted to sell as a going concern so they could start another life elsewhere. So, I handed in my resignation letter early July and waited until my 4 week notice period was over before I could apply my skills and experiences in the direction of pooch pampering and canine capers. But, just before my working notice period expired my wife's employer died. My wife was a personal carer for an old lady. It gets a little more complicated than that because we have a friend who lives with us and she also worked for the same old lady...... Suddenly the three of us went from earning a decent whack of money between us to all being unemployed at the same time. 

The doggy day care business was to be set up by my wife and our friend together, in partnership, and I was going to 'look after it' for a few months at least, build up a bank balance for the business and wait for another friend to come in and take over its day to day management. I didn't have a problem with that at all. Had my wife's employer lived to see her 91st birthday then I was happy to work for them on a meagre salary and then job hunt in earnest in the New Year. In the end we decided that the business partnership would still happen for my wife and our friend, that our friend would run the doggy day care business instead. My wife had already got herself another job but she's doing double shifts to help ease the money worries. So, I have to get my skates on, go out and look for a job. I can't let my wife run herself ragged.....even if she did encourage me to give up my last job.

Dear Santa Claus, can I please impersonate your good self and................

No comments:

Post a Comment